Saturday, August 22, 2009

More Jam: peach and plum

In our fruit share this week we got blueberries, peaches, and red plums. I also got an extra 1/2 peck of peaches. I had the intention of making peach butter but I think I need even more peaches for that adventure. I think after the hours and hours of cooking, I think my 1/2 peck of peaches may result in a spoonful of peach butter. Not really, but for all that effort I think I need to start with a bit more fruit. So what is plan B? Jam, of course!12 peaches + 1 1/2C sugar + 2T lemon juice + 25 minutes of boiling = JAM!
I was thinking of experimenting with some spices or some fresh ginger but I wanted to try straight up peach jam first. I think it is a bit runny but pretty tasty! (Almost as good as clotted cream on my scone!)
19 red plums (1 1/2 lbs) + 1 1/2C sugar + 1/2 a lemon = JAM!
I cooked the half a lemon with the plums in hopes that it would help the jam set better.
I think it worked out as I think the plum jam is more jammy than the peach.
And the blueberries, well they are tasty by the handful and on a bowl of cereal if they make it that far!

No comments:

Post a Comment