Thursday, August 20, 2009

Scones

This morning I made currant scones. I love scones. I wish I had clotted cream to go with them, but nonetheless, I love scones. I am fond of the cream scone recipe in The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. There is a new edition of this cookbook called The New Vegetarian Epicure published in 1996 and I don't know if the recipe is in that edition or not. I use a copy I found in a used book store a few years ago with the publication date of 1972.

Cream Scones
1C buttermilk
1 egg
2T sugar
3 1/2C flour
2t baking powder
1t baking soda
1/2t salt
1/2C melted butter
1/3C currants

Preheat the oven to 400. Whisk the first three ingredients in a bowl. Sift together the dry ingredients. Add 2/3 of the dry mixture to the wet and stir to fully incorporate. Add in the melted butter about 1/3 at a time until fully combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and the currants. (I used the currants I dried about a month ago and they are delicious. They actually taste like currants instead of the dried currants I've used in the past.) Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead it for a few minutes. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky. Separate the dough into three equal parts. Pat out each ball into thick circles about 4 inches across and use a sharp knife to cut these into quarters. Place these on a buttered baking sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Eat warm plain, with butter, jam, or clotted cream if you are lucky! Keep them in an airtight container for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment