Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cranberry bread

I've been wanting to make cranberry bread since before the holidays. I found a cranberry orange bread recipe that looked delicious and then I couldn't find it again so when I stumbled across this recipe this morning I decided today was the day for some baking! This recipe looked perfect since I had some buttermilk in the fridge already and I am a sucker for anything with honey in it!

Preheat the oven to 350 and then prepare 2 loaf pans (8x4x3) by buttering and flouring them.
First, whisk together 1C all-purpose flour, 1C whole wheat flour, 1C cornmeal, 1/2C sugar, 1 1/2t salt, and 1 1/2t baking soda in bowl 1.

Next, melt 1 stick of unsalted butter in the microwave and leave it to cool slightly while you mix the rest of the wet ingredients.
In bowl 2 begin with 1/2C honey, which is hard to measure so I suggest spraying a 1/2C measure or a 1T measure with oil so that the honey will slide right out into the bowl. Next add 1 1/4C buttermilk, 1t vanilla extract, and 2 large eggs. Whisk these ingredients together as best you can since honey, cold milk and warm butter don't combine very well!
Add bowl 2 (wet ingredients) to bowl 1 (dry ingredients). Finally, fold in 1C chopped walnuts and 1 1/2-2C fresh cranberries.

Divide the dough evenly between the two prepared loaf pans and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. I had a slice with a cup of tea this afternoon and it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment