Sunday, January 24, 2010

Seasoned Oyster Crackers

I have strong memories attached to seasoned oyster crackers!
A friend of mine from high school's mom used to make these. She even made them years later when I would come to visit. Simple and tasty, these oyster crackers will be a football snack today as we watch the championship games.

This post is also an exercise in experimentation because the batch I made today just didn't turn out right. See the bottom picture, they are the wrong color! Too dark meaning overcooked, which I think is thanks to too long in too hot an oven.

Start with 1/4C vegetable oil in a large enough liquid measure to mix in the rest of the ingredients. Add 1/2 a package of ranch dressing mix, 1/2t garlic powder, and 1T dried dill. Mix well. (This can easily be doubled to spread over a full package of crackers, 14-16 ounces.)
Spread 1/2 a package (about 7-8 oz.) of oyster crackers on a cookie sheet. Dump the mixture over the crackers and mix until they are evenly coated.

I then baked the crackers at 350 for 25 minutes and I stirred them halfway through. This was too hot and too long, I think. Next time I would try a 300 degree oven for about the same amount of time, but checking at the halfway point for doneness too!


1 comment:

  1. I ran across a very similar recipe in my grandmother's recipe box for something called "snacks."

    ReplyDelete