Thursday, June 11, 2009

Antipasto Orzo Salad

Finally, a recipe! So I haven't tried the garlic scape pesto yet, but it is next on my list for the day. I have been anxious to get an actual recipe up so I am going to post this salad, which I made on Monday and we finished the leftovers yesterday.

This is cold pasta salad that combines the flavors common on a traditional antipasto plate. And it tastes delicious the next day for lunch too!

1C orzo, cooked and cooled

2T salami, diced

2T ricotta salata, crumbled (I am sure parmesan, asiago, or fresh mozzarella would be tasty too!)

1/4C olives, diced (I used a combination of Greek green, kalamata, and nicoise.)

1T fresh basil, chopped

1/2T fresh oregano, chopped

½ to 1T olive oil (My husband recently introduced me to Trader Joe’s Kalamata oil, which is delicious!)

black pepper

Served with pepperoncini

I cooked the orzo according to the instructions on the box, while preparing the other ingredients. Once cooked, I strained the orzo and ran it under cold water to stop it from overcooking and to chill it for the salad. I then tossed all the ingredients together and added enough olive oil to keep the orzo from clumping and pepper to taste.

This was tasty with a few pepperoncini peppers on the side!

 


2 comments:

  1. Glad to see the silverware we gave you is being put to good use! My wife says this is a snide comment. And yet, I am being genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fiestaware :). And the salad - sounds like one even my husband may eat (after carefully picking out the olives).

    ReplyDelete