Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Burgers, baby bok choy, and cupcakes!

Grilling in the rain! We had burgers on the grill made from tasty local beef mixed with whatever herbs and spices my husband mixed in. Topped with baby greens and Cambozola, the burgers were perfect. We also tried grilling garlic scapes. My husband thought they were okay but I wasn't really a fan. I much preferred using the garlic scapes in pesto!
I cooked the baby bok choy
we got in our farm share for our side dish. In 1T vegetable oil and a few drops of sesame oil, I let 1t garlic, 1 inch of grated ginger, and 1 sliced shallot cook 'til they were fragrant. Then I tossed in the bok choy and turned the greens 'til they were coated in the garlic, ginger, and shallots. The leaves wilted quickly and then I added some water and covered the pan to let the stems steam for about 3 minutes.
Oh, and don't forget dessert!
I made chocolate cupcakes starting with a recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I only used 6 oz of chocolate and it worked out just fine. I added strawberry puree (leftover from Sunday and the crepe adventure) as a middle layer as I spooned the batter in the pan.
It probably would have been better to just mix the puree into all the batter as the layer just bubbled up and out making a little bit of a mess. Finally, my husband said he couldn't stand to see such naked cupcakes so he had to make frosting!
We didn't have a full 8 0z of cream cheese so he used what we had, butter, powdered sugar, and maple syrup and mixed it up for the frosting. This cupcake recipe is great and would work well with many additions like berries, nuts, chips, etc. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment