Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry and Apricot Buttermilk Cake

On Sunday night after chicken sandwiches, squash and tabouli we ate cake. Earlier in the monthI posted about a cake I made with black raspberries that was supposed to be made with blueberries.
Last week I bought blueberries to add to the currant jam and I had nearly a quart of local blueberries left. But in our farm share this week we got apricots and I couldn't decide between a blueberry cake and an apricot cobbler or pie. The compromise was a blueberry AND apricot cake. I used the recipe for blueberry boy bait from smitten kitchen. I used about 1C blueberries total, as the recipe calls for, with 1/2C in the batter and 1/2C as a topping. I also used 3 apricots. I blanched them to take off the skins and the two ripest ones nearly turned to mush. I added those two to the batter and I used the one that kept its structure in the topping. The result was that the cake batter was lightly flavored with the apricots I added in and the chunks were still discernible in the topping. And as before, I used buttermilk rather than regular milk. Overall, it was a hit. As you can see we only have 3 pieces left!

No comments:

Post a Comment