Monday, July 27, 2009

Tabouli

Last night we had a mostly chilled summer dinner of grilled chicken sandwiches, grilled squash and tabouli. First, for the tabouli. I almost followed the recipe on the bag of bulgur wheat but minus the fresh mint. If I had planted the mint that I bought weeks ago, we may have had enough to add the fresh mint. Instead, I left the mint to fend for itself in its little plastic tub. I went looking for it and realized it must have gotten so dry that it was light enough to get blown right off the back deck. Ooops. Now it is happily in the ground but I had to use dried mint in the tabouli!

1/2C dry bulgur wheat
1/4C chopped parsley
1/4C chopped fresh mint (I used about 1T dried)
1 small cucumber, chopped (I used a platinum cuke from the farmers market)
1 tomato, chopped
1/4C green onions, chopped
1/3C lemon juice
2-3T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Following the directions on the bag, I rinsed the bulgur in a strainer, set the strainer in a bowl, and covered the bulgur with boiling water. I let this sit while I chopped all the ingredients. With everything but the bulgur in a bowl, I stirred it up. I drained the bulgur, rinsed it with cold water, pressed the water out through the strainer, and fluffed the bulgur. I stirred in the bulgur and chilled the tabouli for a couple hours.

The chicken for the sandwiches was cooked on the grill and sliced up. On slices of a baguette we had chicken, lettuce, tomato, fresh mozzarella, and pesto. We used a batch of garlic scape and walnut pesto. On the side we also had grilled squash including a zucchini, a yellow squash, and several very sweet and tasty patty pan squash. All the squash came in our farm share this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment