Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pimento Cheese!

I have been trying to do a little bit of cooking in the morning before I leave the house for school. I usually make a side dish to go along with dinner or something we can each for lunch the following day. This morning my project was pimento cheese. Last week red and yellow bell peppers were as good a price as I have seen them for awhile: $1.99/lb. I bought one of each color and roasted them when we had the grill going for sausages. After they were nicely blackened, I put them in a brown paper bag to steam. Once they had cooled enough to handle I peeled them and took out the seeds. I put them in a jar in the fridge.
This morning I took out the roasted red pepper and sliced it up in to about 10 strips. I sliced an 8-oz. block of sharp cheddar cheese into chunks that could easily fit into the chute of my food processor. I started with the shredder attachment and alternated between adding cheese and peppers. Once I had shredded everything I moved everything to the side of the bowl in the food processor so I could put the regular chopping attachment in the bowl. I pulsed a few times so that the cheese and roasted peppers were mixed but I didn't want to turn it to mush. (This process is really best done using a meat grinder, but I don't have one.) I decided to store the cheese and roasted pepper mix without adding mayo but I'll add the mayo in batches as I use it for crackers or a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment