Thursday, July 2, 2009

Radishes, Turnips, Cabbage, oh my!

Along with a ton more kale, spring greens, lettuce, and garlic scapes, we got daikon radishes and hakurei turnips. I must confess we've gotten the turnips before and I haven't figured out what to do with them. I ate a couple raw but that got old. Last night I shredded about 4 hakurei turnips and added chopped cilantro and lime juice. It made a tasty little slaw.
Speaking of slaw, I also made a traditional cole slaw based on a Cooks Illustrated recipe. I used a pre-packaged bag of cabbage and carrots because we can't eat a whole head of cabbage worth of slaw in a timely fashion. I wilted the shredded cabbage with salt according to the recipe and I didn't notice the difference in absorption that they claimed wilting should make. I made the dressing loosely based on their proportions. The recipe calls for 3 lbs. of cabbage and I used 1 lb. For the dressing, I used about 1/4C buttermilk, 1T mayo, 1T sour cream, 1t cider vinegar, pinch of sugar, black pepper, and 1 sliced shallot. The recipe called for parsley but I didn't add any.
And back to the farm share...I used one daikon radish last night and followed the suggestion on the farm collective website to pan fry radish slices. I was skeptical but it was pretty tasty. I sliced the radish in 1/4 inch thick coins and fried in a hot pan with vegetable oil and few drops of sesame oil. I finished them with a bit of sea salt and they were tasty little treats.

1 comment: