Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lentils everyone will love!

This is a cold lentil salad that everyone will love. A couple of summers ago my husband's cousin lived with us for a few months. When I would make this salad, which is usually enough as a side dish for about 8 people, he and my husband would polish it off in one night. And neither of them like lentils. Hmmm. The saddest part of that story is that this salad is great the next day so peering in that empty bowl was always a disappointment.
I got this recipe from my aunt who makes this every year at the beach. It is a favorite there too. I am not quite sure how she scales this up to feed nearly 20 people, but it is always a hit!

1 1/2C green lentils
6C chicken stock
1 garlic clove, whole and pierced with a toothpick
1t herbes de Provence
1 small bay leaf


1 tomato (the recipe calls for the tomato to be peeled, seeded, and chopped, but I just chop it)
3 green onions, finely chopped including some of the green tops
1T fresh parsley, chopped (I use about 2T)
1T capers, drained (I use about 2T)
Rinse and pick at the lentils. Put lentils in pan with stock, garlic, herbes de Provence, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer uncovered. Cook the lentils until tender, about 20 minutes, and be careful not to overcook them as they will turn to MUSH! Drain the lentils and leave them to cool. Remove the bay leaf and garlic clove.

Once cool, put the lentils in a bowl with the tomato, onions, parsley and capers. Whisk the vinaigrette (see below), add to the lentils, and toss. Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese (recipe calls for 2 1/2 ounces of chevre and I use about 4 ounces) on top and serve, or chill and serve.

Vinaigrette
1/2C olive oil (I use about 1/4C)
2T lemon juice
1t Dijon mustard
1/2t salt
fresh ground black pepper

2 comments:

  1. I've had this salad. I am no fan of lentils. In fact, one might say that I go out of my way to avoid lentils. However, I do enjoy this salad. Keep up the strong work Dr.-to-be Casto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plan is to take this to the WV mushroom foray in Greenbrier State Forest tomorrow for the potluck dinner after the hunt. I wonder how many of those shroomers do not eat meat? I'll feel obliged to disclose the presence of chicken broth in this recipe. 23 July 2010

    ReplyDelete